Skip to content

File Income Tax Return Online

Posted in Finance, Income Tax, India.

From assessment year 2013-14, E-filing has been made compulsory for the person who is an individual or a Hindu undivided family (HUF), if his or its total income, or the total income in respect of which he is or it is assessable under the act during the previous year, exceeds Rs. 5 lakh rupees for the assessment year 2013-14 onwards. It clearly states total income and not taxable income.

Please read below to know how you can file income tax return online yourself.


Calculate Income tax

You can calculate your income tax payable using the income tax calculator provided at this page: Income tax calculator. Income tax return excel utility also computes income tax, but they only take taxable income as input.
Also make sure that you also see whether the advance tax has been paid on time (See row 101-104 in tax calculator). In case you have paid the full tax but not paid on time as per the advance tax schedule, you are liable to pay interest under section 234 C. Income tax return excel utility also computes interest penalty u/s 234C.

Pay your tax online

Whatever pending amount you need to pay can be paid online on this link: Pay Taxes Online (Use only Internet explorer for this).
Select challan type as CHALLAN NO. /ITNS 280 and continue.
Select (0021) INCOME-TAX (OTHER THAN COMPANIES) in tax applicable field and
Select (300) SELF ASSESSMENT TAX in type of payment.
Select bank through which you want to pay.

Make sure to add interest penalty as computed by income tax return excel form u/s 234A, 234B and 234C in case of tax payments after due date.

You also pay through your net banking login on Axis Bank, Oriental Bank of Commerce, State Bank of Patiala, Bank of Baroda, IDBI Bank, State Bank of Mysore, Bank of Maharashtra, State Bank of Hyderabad, State Bank of Saurashtra, Union Bank of India, Allahabad Bank, Dena Bank, Syndicate Bank, ICICI Bank, State Bank of India, Punjab National Bank, Indian Overseas Bank, Canara Bank, Indian Bank, Bank of India, Corporation Bank, State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur, State Bank of Travancore, State Bank of Indore, Vijaya Bank and HDFC Bank.

You can check online if your money has actually reached the I-T Department. For this you have to go to Tax Information Network Website and click the box CIN Based View. Provide details as per the receipt generated while online tax payment.

Fill Income tax return form

Download respective income tax form from income tax website. Income tax department has modified the return preparation software to include automatic calculation of tax and interest.

Income from Salary/Pension, interest and single house property ( but with exempt income is less than Rs. 5,000) : ITR-1

Income from more than one house property, capital gains, salaries, pension, interest and exempt income more than Rs 5,000: ITR-2

Income from partnership in a firm: ITR-3

Income from business/profession: ITR-4

Income from Presumptive Business: ITR-4S

Exempt income here includes transport/conveyance allowance, HRA exemption, agricultural income, insurance maturity amount, LTA, Gratuity, Interest on PPF balance, Leave Encashment, Income from Mutual Funds, Dividends and long term capital gains.

Fill up the form with information provided in Form-16 and the tax calculated in income tax calculator above in Step 1.

If you don’t know Assessing Officer (Ward / Circle), Find it here by submitting your PAN.

After filling up the form, Generate tax return XML from the income tax form by clicking Generate button on first sheet of excels form.

e-File income tax return

After you have created a XML file from income tax return excel form, Go to Income Tax e-Filing Website.
Create your login on this page on website. It’s not mandatory, to use a digital signature for electronically filing the return.

a) Filing return without digital signature:

Login to income tax site and click on assessment year under submit return menu on left side of page.
Upload the generated XML on this page for 2012-13 assessment year.
On successful upload acknowledgment details would be displayed.

Take printout of acknowledgment/ITR-V Form. You may also download it later. Login and go to link on top right My account > My Returns.

Form ITR-V has to be submitted with the Income tax Department as verification of the electronic filing of the return within 120 days after the date of e-Filing.

Form ITR-V is bar-coded, so it need not to be folded and to be mailed in a A4 size envelope BY ORDINARY or SPEED POST ONLY to “Income Tax Department – CPC, Post Box No – 1, Electronic City Post Office, Bengaluru – 560100, Karnataka” within 120 days after the date of e-filing of return. ITR-V sent by Registered Post or Courier will not be accepted. No Form ITR-V shall be received in any other office of the Income-tax Department or in any other manner. Please keep a copy of the same with you also. After some day of posting the ITR-V, you can check status of receipt by going into account ‘My Account’ -> ‘E-filing Process Status’.

From year 2012-13, even if a person does not have digital signature, he can file online and even does not need to send ITR-V copy to Bangalore CPC (Central processing centre) address.

An electronic signature would be generated online in income tax efiling website after providing certain information from previous year’s income tax return. On validation of such information, unique PIN would be provided to person on email/SMS. This PIN can be used to file income tax return online without needing digital signature. This will also make sure no further hard copy needs to be sent to department.

b) Filing return with digital signature:

In case you don’t have digital signature and you want to buy that, you can buy class 2 or class 3. You can buy digital signature on e-Mudhra website . Class 2 individual certificate is available for Rs. 285 for 1 year validity.

In case return is filed with digital signature, user may take a printout of the Acknowledgment for his record. The tax-payer is not required to submit the Form ITR-V with the Income-tax Department.

Income tax department call center:

To assist taxpayers, a limited call center service has been established at ITD-CPC, Bangalore. Taxpayer queries on status of ITR-V receipt at CPC, Bangalore will be answered on 080-43456700 between 9:30 AM to 6 PM. The service will be available in English, Hindi and Kannada.

One may also call on 1800-425-2229 (Toll free) or 080-43456700 for status of receipt of ITR-V at CPC, Processing status of e-filed returns, Refund issues and any other information related to processing of returns at CPC.  The working hours of CPC Call center have been extended to 9AM-8PM on all working days.

I hope this article will help many of us and make tax filing Simple & Easy. So please this year Do-It-Yourself.

Feel free to comment/suggest anything that I may have missed.

Note : No hard copy of any kind of proof needs to be submitted along with Income tax return.

1,367 Responses

Stay in touch with the conversation, subscribe to the RSS feed for comments on this post.

  1. Anita says


    My friend has to received refund from ITR Deptt. But while seeing refund status, it has been shown that ‘Refund failed at CPC”‘

    How to resolve the issue? Please advice.

    • Pankaj Batra says

      Your friend can use Refund Re-issue Request option in income tax efiling login.

  2. Anita says

    While applying for Refund Reissue Request, the CPC Reference Number is showing incorrect again and again which has come under Intimation u/s143(1) of the Income Tax Act,1961. e.g.CPC/1314/A1/1312685222

    Sir,how to resolve this issue.

  3. Anita says

    Thanks Sir. We enquired from CPC call center. They said the number of is okayed.You can try again.
    Then what we did that we copied this Ref.No. from their sheet and then paste and we succeeded in this process.


  4. Anita Vij says

    One of my colleague received letter under section 245 to pay demand of Rs.40550/ for 2012-13 and Rs.17850/- for the year 2010-11. But my colleague says, there is no previous dues pending as shown by ITR Deptt. How to resolve this problem. Can we apply for rectfication request. But which CPC reference number is to be used.

    Awaiting for your reply Sir.


    • Pankaj Batra says

      It would be best to visit income tax office and submit a written letter (with supporting documents) for clearing demand to assessing office.
      I also had similar case and unnecessary demands were raised. I got it cleared by showing them return copy, tax challans and form-16 copies.

      • Krishna says

        @ Anita,
        same thing happened to me and it got cleared after submitting the documents at Income tax office

  5. Lasal says

    Which income tax office does one have to go to? CPC at Bangalore (??) or to the nearest to place of stay?

  6. Bimal says

    Dear Mr.Pankaj,

    I think gratuity should not be include in the first half of Income as it give a wrong impression of On Hand Salary since gratuity is paid after 5 years of continuous work

    • Pankaj Batra says

      This field has been kept for Gratuity payout.
      Suppose you leave a company and they pay you gratuity amount. This is lump sum payment and thats why its kept along with arrears, bonus, leave encashment etc.

      • Bimal says

        Thank You. Is Gratuity then taxable ?

        • Pankaj Batra says

          It depends on number of years in service. Total exemption is also limited by Rs 10 lakhs or 15 days per service year, which ever is less.

  7. Saji says

    Dear Pankaj, I have received shares amount of Rs. XXX after selling it, but the company did not deducted the tax from that. How should I calculate the tax for this and how to pay it? Please guide me.

    • Pankaj Batra says

      As amount is received from share sale, it would be a capital gain and not normal salary income.
      Income tax on it would depend on two factors: 1. Are shares sold on any of the Indian stock markets 2. How much was the holding period.

      • Saji says

        Dear Pankaj, Its taken by the company itself (its indian company). Holding time is 3 months. Please guide me. Should I add this to the my present taxable income (salary). And then calculate the tax for the sum. Please guide.

        • Pankaj Batra says

          As holding period is less than one year, its a short term capital gain.
          Whole gains would be added to your taxable income and taxed as per your slab rates.

          • Saji says

            Thank you very much…Pankaj

1 28 29 30

Have a Question? Click here to Ask now!

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.